Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Heat is On: PVA 2011 3rd Qtr Nominees - Gospel/R&B

It's amazing how fast things can go when one genre doesn't have any possible entries and four others have so few they can go into only two posts. Such will not be the case from now on. We move on to Gospel, the real kind, as opposed to that stuff called Southern Gospel (aka "The Devil's Music"), as well as its close relative Rhythm and Blues aka (R&B). The two styles combine quite effortlessly in CCM and it makes sense to combine them, even though no one would really mistake Fred Hammond (Gospel) with say Trinitee 5:7 (definitely R&B).

Gospel/R&B

There were 6 potential nominees this time around, which is encouraging, since, for all of last year, I was only to come up with eight nominees total, which I whittled down to seven (the cast off was We Fit by K-Drama). We wont have a problem like that this time around.
  • StrongerThe Love Album, Kim Burrell
  • Keep Living, Ricky Dillard
  • What if We Were Real, Mandisa
  • Never Odd or Even, Shonlock
  • My Heart Says Yes, Troy Sneed
  • Angel & Chanelle, Trinitee 5:7
Of the six nominees, if I had to break it down, Burrell, Dillard and Sneed (I don't know why, but that sounds like a law firm) would go into Gospel and Shonlock, Mandisa and Trinitee 5:7 would be R&B. I am familiar with four of the six artists (I never heard of Ricky Dillard or Troy Sneed before this quarter), and I was the most surprised by Mandisa. Since he is a double genre nominee, all I will say is to Check out my full reviews of What if We Were Real and Never Odd or Even by clicking on their titles.

Six down, Four to go. Next up is Alternative. As always, I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment