Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pilgrims Progress

A High School Girl Friend of mine (Yes, two words. We never were an item. There was a slim possibility of that, but I didn't have an answer to a very pointed question from her. That is another story, one I will not bore you with). Anyway, this friend posted on Facebook that she was looking for a clarinet for one of her kids who was taking lessons. Now that got me thinking, despite not playing anything but a tonette as a kid (though I do own a Harmonica, which I can play badly), Clarinets are fine, but what about useful instruments like a cello, violin, or harp.

Lest you think I've gone completely off my rocker, such was the family life of Annie, Alex, Benjamin, Camille, Gretchen, Jeremiah, Bill and Robin Wolaver, known collectively as the Annie Moses Band. Bill and Robin are the parents of this family band, as well as the Composer/Arrangers. Collectively they are:
  • Annie (Lead Vocals, Violin)
  • Alex (Lead Vocals, Viola)
  • Benjamin (Cello)
  • Camille (Harp, Keyboard, Vocals)
  • Gretchen (Violin, Mandolin, Guitar, Vocals)
  • Jeremiah (Guitar)
Bill adds a mean Piano to the mix and Robin also fills in for vocals from time to time, but that is about it. Fill it out with a few session players on stuff like drums and you've got the hottest band of players this side of Mannheim Steamroller or Trans Siberian Orchestra. They officially designate themselves as Chamber-Pop. You can get all of AMB's material on Amazon and help support The Night Beat at the same time by clicking here

I mention those two bands purposefully, as AMB rose to fame on the basis of Christmas Music. The older kids all went to Juilliard, and the younger ones are all pre-admitted I am sure. I have a pet peeve about starting Christmas too early, and that is really acting up this time as Jeremy Camp released a Christmas Album IN SEPTEMBER! However, just so you know what I'm talking about, here is a link to a post which contains an AMB Christmas Song.

I love this album. Now close friends know that I have a wide range of musical tastes (except for Country and Southern Gospel, I detest those, though there are exceptions. Folk, Bluegrass, and Southern Rock tend to blur the boundaries enough to tame my gag reflex.). There are really no bad songs on this album, and I am giving it a just short of perfection 4.75 Emeralds, not on any flaw, because it is almost perfect. I just wish they had cut loose on a few more songs. Since AOL Music is streaming it this week, it has been on repeat constantly. (Except when I have been listening to As I Lay Dying, Holly Starr and others. The Night Beat Must Go on).

I'm going to finish up with a few live videos of AMB Songs. First up is the "title song" Poor Wayfaring Pilgrim

Next up is a little more haunting. And Alex on lead vocal with Road Well Traveled (A Cautionary Tale).

And finally, an all instrumental jam session, with Blarney Pilgrim.I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have. Writing while listening to the music makes it all the better. Tomorrow we will be going a different way altogether, as Flashback Friday will be going to Alternative Trio PFR. But perhaps not, as what can be more of an Alternative sound in CCM than Annie Moses Band. Remember to order through amazon by clicking on the link. Until next time, I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment