Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Children On The Run

"11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." 1 Corinthians 13:11 (KJV)



This verse came to me as I have been listening to the latest release by Minnesota Punk Rockers Children 18:3. In short I could have called this "The Kids Grow Up". Now granted, my experience with Children 18:3 has been fairly limited, but I am acquainted with two of their radio singles Homemade Valentine (from the Self Titled Debut), and the frentically paced Cover Your Eyes (from Rain's A Comin').
 
On the Run isn't really fast or hard. Most of the songs are decidedly radio friendly and have gone punk in the vein of Bleach rather than say MxPx. Personally, I like it better, because it's a bit easier on the ears. I can save them for stuff like Demon Hunter and The Devil Wears Prada.
 
Harmonies abound on this album. That's not to say there's no hard stuff. There is: Moment to Moment, Drifter and I Tried to Do The Right Thing. Most of the songs are mid-range rock, and a number of them We'll Never Say Goodbye, Nowhere to Run, Always on The Run, and and Holding On are pop ballads.

Reviews seem to be either love it or hate it. It's either "What happened to Children 18:3?" or "The Best Punk Album Ever". I'm going to split the baby, metaphorically speaking. As I said, I really like the harmonies. Growing up in an era where rock meant Petra, Stryper, Rez and others that relied as much on harmony as volume, I love it. At the same time I wish It rocked a bit more. I'm going to give On the Run a final rating of 4.5 Emeralds. That will put it in contention for an Elpy (Platinum Vinyl Award) in Rock, and we shall she how it fares.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it stands up to their previous work, or is it a rare Tooth and Nail Misfire? Love it or hate it, we at The Night Beat want to hear from you. On the blog, on Twitter, and now on Facebook. Whatever the means, I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment