Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Night Beat Rewind: May 2012

We're almost caught up. This is great, I managed to get the Platinum Vinyl Awards out this weekend (well, Thursday to Sunday) and I may get May wrapped up within the first week in June. WOO HOO!!!

For those new on The Night Beat, each month I put out a "quick hits" post wrapping up the releases of the past month and assigning an Emerald Rating to each. Let's get to it for May.

Missing The Mark

  • Karen Davis - Songs In The Dark 3.75 Emeralds
  • Jennie Lee Riddle - People and Songs, Opus 1 Collective 3.75 Emeralds
  • Switchfoot - Vice Re-Verses 3.75 Emeralds
If you've read my rewind posts, you know I don't hold back on the attitude. Sometimes it gains me a little notoriety. Sometimes even the artists themselves comment. With the case of Karen Davis, I think the phrase "Hillsong in Hebrew" should suffice. Even though the majority of the songs were in Hebrew, the sound reeked of Hillsong, which is good for itself, but not in all situations. For someone whose experience in Messianic Music is Lamb and the Liberated Wailing Wall, I expected better.  For Riddle, I was unimpressed with the Opus. Sometimes it was too country, sometimes good. I thought it was uneven. I will save my biggest criticism for Switchfoot. WHY?? I loved Vice Verses, I gave it a perfect rating, but this. I usually love remixes because it makes it Techno, and I love techno. No to the remix in this case. Stick with the original.

Pure Platinum

  • Lara Landon - Overcome 5 Emeralds
One Perfect album this month. What a voice. I still have my fantasy concert lineup of Lara Landon backed by Denver and The Mile High Orchestra in a speakeasy. I mean, the girls got pipes, and a voice that melts ice. Look up Torch singer and you'll find her picture. Buy Overcome or Beloved on Amazon by clicking on the links.

Semi-Precious Metal

  • Bluetree - Kingdom 4.5 Emeralds
  • Ben Cantelon - Everything In 4.25 Emeralds
  • The Choir - The Loudest Sound Ever Heard 4.75 Emeralds
  • Coopertheband - Kings 4.25 Emeralds
  • Patrick Dopson - Open The Heavens 4.5 Emeralds
  • Family Force Five - III.V 4.5 Emeralds
  • For Today - Immortal 4.25 Emeralds
  • Deitrick Haddon - A Beautiful Soul 4.75 Emeralds
  • Brandon Heath - Give Me Your Eyes (The Acoustic Sessions) 4.5 Emeralds
  • Mat Kearney - Young Love (Deluxe Edition) 4.5 Emeralds
  • The Letter Black - Hanging On By A Remix 4.75 Emeralds
  • Martha's Trouble - A Little Heart Like You 4.5 Emeralds
  • Mary Mary - Go Get It 4.5 Emeralds
  • Jon McLaughlin - Promising Promises 4.5 Emeralds
  • Mewithoutyou - Ten Stories 4.5 Emeralds
  • Mercy Me - The Hurt and The Healer 4.75 Emeralds
  • Owl City - Shooting Star EP 4.5 Emeralds
  • Phillips, Craig and Dean - Here I am to Worship 4.25 Emeralds
  • Point of Grace - A Thousand Little Things 4.5 Emeralds
  • John Schlitt - The Greater Cause 4.5 Emeralds
  • To Speak of Wolves - Find Your Worth, Come Home 4.5 Emeralds
  • Rita Springer - The Playlist 4.5 Emeralds
  • Stuart Townend - Ultimate Collection 4.5 Emeralds
  • 12 Stones - Beneath The Scars 4.75 Emeralds
  • Various Artists - Mighty To Save 4.5 Emeralds
  • The Washington Projects - Space Time Continuum: The Remixes 4.75 Emeralds
  • Phil Wickham - Singalong 2 4.5 Emeralds
That's it, I am officially caught up. The June releases await. Until next time I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment