Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Doves In The Field

Now Before I get started, I want you to click on the highlighted link and purchase NOW, the latest release by Fireflight. It's a bit softer than For Those Who Wait, but it's written around Dawn's voice, and that's a very good thing. I think I've got some of the Amazon Associates stuff down, since I have to do this manually, but If you click the link, It has my associates ID in it and The Night Beat will thank you. Right now the other options don't wrap around the text and the blog looks ugly with them. This is the most unobtrusive.

Now, on to the other music. With the new releases, preparations for the second Platinum Vinyl Awards and other stuff, my Dove Coverage has taken a bit of a hit. We're finally going to continue with The General Field Awards, those that all genres compete in, such as Group of the Year. The Doves only have five of these awards, and they only have five entrants each, so I'm going to hit them all.

Male Vocalist of the Year
  • Chris August
  • Chris Tomlin
  • Jason Crabb
  • Kirk Franklin
  • Steven Curtis Chapman
Chris August and SCC didn't even have albums out this time around. (August had the obligatory Deluxe edition and SCC had a best of work. Sorry, that's cheating) Tomlin and Franklin did have new albums, and I was more impressed with Tomlin's. Crabb is SG and I don't pay attention to SG.

Female Vocalist of the Year
  • Francesca Battistelli
  • Kari Jobe
  • Laura Story
  • Mandisa
  • Natalie Grant
What, no Beckah Shae!? Mandisa is a good choice and Natalie Grant okay if its from MIBTS, but Love Revolution, no. Story's album is a good choice. The only one I really think maybe is a tossup is Battistelli. I see another trend coming on. Same with August for the men.

Group of the Year
  • Casting Crowns
  • David Crowder Band
  • Gaither Vocal Band
  • Needtobreathe
  • The Isaacs
Headscratchers for GVB and the Isaacs. Of course, since this is the (Southern) Gospel Music Association, they feel they have to honor them. Casting Crowns had a solid album as did Needtobreathe (the album that frustrates spellcheck everywhere). Even though the album was AWESOME, was there any doubt that the GMA would give a farewell honor to DCB. Personally, though I'm trying to stay away from predictions right now, I think they are the shoo-in. I think the City Harmonic should be here as well.

New Artist of the Year
  • Beyond the Ashes
  • Dara Maclean
  • Jamie Grace
  • Royal Tailor
  • The City Harmonic
Never heard of Beyond The Ashes. Of the others, sorry, its a no brainer for The City Harmonic, though the other three in the list all had strong entries. It's just that The City Harmonic is so good and out of the ordinary on sound.

Artist of the Year
  • Casting Crowns
  • Jason Crabb
  • Laura Story
  • Lecrae
  • The Isaacs
Personally I would pick someone else in this grouping. At least four of the five. Forced among the choices I would go with Lecrae here.

That finally gets me two thirds of the way through the Dove Nominations. Just song of the Year to Go. As always, I am Awaiting Your Reply.


No comments:

Post a Comment