Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Dove Wrap: 2016 Edition - Song Awards

Continuing with the results of my predictions of the 47th Dove Awards. We move on to the Song of The Year portion of the awards. After the album section I was a paltry 1 for 4. Let's see how I fare here. Maybe I shall improve.

First up is Inspirational Song. Even though I thought it was a Worship Song, I decided to go with Christy Nockels and Let It Be Jesus for my pick. Not surprisingly, the Doves and I do not see eye to eye on such things. They went with Till I Met You by Laura Story. (Score 2/5)

From Inspirational to Worship. Now I have no problem with having both of these categories. The Platinum Vinyl Awards does as well. We just happen to skew things closer to the Adult Contemporary side of the spectrum in our awards, while it appears that the Doves go with two modern worship awards, which is sort of cheating. Anyway, for Worship Song I really liked No Longer Slaves by Bethel Music, more specifically Jonathan David and Melissa Helser. The Dove Committee agreed with me on this part. (Score 3/6)


Contemporary Gospel/Urban Song was next. Since the Doves agreed with me that Losing My Religion was the album of the year in this category, I thought they would Wanna Be Happy as well as I would. However, they liked Jonathan McReynolds The Way That You Love Me. Oh well, they can't be perfect all the time. (Score: 3/7)

Rock/Contemporary Song is up next. I liked a lot of the songs that the Dove's nominated, so much so that I made a rare backup pick. Even though it technically is alternative, I went with Live On Forever by The Afters for my pick and took God is On The Move by 7eventh Time Down for my backup. No Dice. The Dove went to Happiness by NEEDTOBREATHE. Maybe I should make four back up picks next time. You can't lose if you pick them all, right. (Score: 3/8).

The softer side of the coin is Pop/Contemporary Song. I weaved in and out with Pop this year. Weave as in Big Daddy Weave. I picked Beautiful Offerings as Pop Album and I went with their song from that album My Story here. 0/2 with the GMA. They went with Trust In You by Lauren Daigle. Can't really complain, though it wasn't my pick. Not doing too well this year. (Score 3/9).

The final song prediction, other than Song of The Year, which is in the General Field category, was for Hip Hop/Rock Song of The Year. While I like the genre, I am by no means an expert in it, but this is all in good fun so I waded in. To mirror my feelings, I guess, I chose Uncomfortable by Andy Mineo. Imagine my surprise when the Doves did as well. (Score 4/10).

So after two segments I have managed to up my rating to .400. That's Ted Williams Territory folks. Let's see if I can keep it up. The General Field is next. Until Then, I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment