Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Friday, October 10, 2014

Flashback Friday: Mansion Builder

Once upon a time there were three siblings with a love for music. No, this isn't about the Jonas Brothers, nor is it about Barlowgirl. Those were all good guesses, though. Today's edition of Flashback Friday is about the Ward Kids, Matthew, Annie, and Nelly, who became famous in the 70's as the 2nd Chapter of Acts.

SCA began in 1973 at the beginning of the Jesus Music Era of Christian Music. A Little bit Rock and Roll but a lot more Adult Contemporary. Their first release was With Footnotes (1974), which gave us the memorable Easter Song, which CCM Magazine says is the #4 Christian Song of all time. Here is a better version of that song live than the one I posted during Easter.
I was introduced to the 2nd Chapter a little later and only picked up on the earlier stuff later. My first foray into the band, at the same time I was into harder acts like Petra and Servant, was Mansion Builder (1978) This is a live reunion video of that song.

I stayed up to date with SCA for a few years after Mansion Builder but as I grew older my tastes got louder. Petra satisfied for a while, but even they got too tame for me, and by the time I got to college I was introduced to the wonderful world of Christian Heavy Metal (Stryper, Whitecross, Barren Cross, Sacred Warrior and others), this was before the thrash metal age with its gravelly growls. If you can't get a hold of good 80's Christian Metal from the era, the next best thing these days is Montreal based band Blessed By A Broken Heart, not to be confused by Mylon LeFevre and Broken Heart, which we will cover later on.

The Second Chapter of Acts officially broke up in 1988 after a fifteen year career. They were inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1999. There hasn't been harmonies on this scale in Christian Music for a long time. I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Until the next Flashback Friday, I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment