Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Anatomy of Boredom

The Anatomy of Broken is the second release by 2007 10th Place American Idol Finalist Chris Sligh. Clocking in at just under an hour in length, it is quite long by current standards. Not helping matters any is that of the fourteen songs on the album, ten of them are of that perfect "Air Conditioning" genre (Adult Contemporary) that so easily goes on in the background that you don't pay much attention to it.  Let's just say I wouldn't pop this CD into my car for a long road trip home.

The track listing (58:40)
  1. Only You Can Save
  2. In the Weak
  3. Our Love
  4. One
  5. Scars
  6. Taking it Back
  7. Catching Up
  8. Naive
  9. Chasing down a name
  10. Beginning (Not the end)
  11. Sunny
  12. Still You Love Me
  13. Love is the Answer
  14. Broken (Beautiful)
I'm not a follower of American Idol, so I can't tell you if 2007 was a particularly weak field, talent wise.  I can say that this CD falls far short of admission to the first annual Platinum Vinyl Awards.  Since Kelly Clarkson launched the American Idol phenomenon (and is still the best of the crop IMHO), a lot of Idol castoffs have found refuge in CCM, among them Mandisa, Brooke Barretsmith, Phil Stacey, and Chris Daughtry).  This one places near the bottom for me.
They say you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and my impression is set. A weak three emeralds is my final rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment