Sometimes one instrument isn't enough. The multi-instrumentalist of today is usually a one man band (think Aaron Gillespie of The Almost of Bryce Avary of The Rocket Summer). When in the recording studio these artists can play all the instruments themselves, and usually do. To tour, however, they need to hire a road band.
The multi-instrumentalists in mind for today's post are all in a band, and all of them play multiple instruments. Think Mannheim Steamroller without the Christmas Music and you've got an idea. Formed in 1989 in England and named for the Island of IONA, they released their debut way back in 1990 and are still, technically, active. The core of the band is a trio
- Dave Bainbridge - Piano, Keyboards, Fretless Keyboard, Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Keyboard and Sequencer Programming, Tambourine
- Dave Fitzgerald - Alto and Tenor Saxophone, Concert Flute, Chinese Flute, Piccolo, Flageolet, Irish Whistle, Tenor Recorder
- Joanne Hogg - Vocals, Vocal Choir, Piano, Keyboards
- Iona (1990)
- The Book Of Kells (1992)
- Beyond These Shores (1993)
- Journey into the Morn (1995)
- Heaven's Bright Sun, Live (1997)
- Woven Cord Live w/The All Souls Orchestra (1999)
- Open Sky (2000)
- The Circling Hour (2006)
- Live in London (2008)
- Another Realm (2011)
I will close with a special treat, a full concert video. This one comes from the Final Cornerstone Festival Ever (2012). Enjoy.
Since the CD's at Amazon for Iona are all imports at high price or used CD's I have only put in affiliate links for those that can save you money by being available for download. I hope you will buy through the link and support the night beat at the same time. Next weeks edition of Flashback Friday will take on the aggressive smile pop industrial genius that is Joey Belville, The Echoing Green. Until my next post, I am Awaiting Your Reply.