Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Friday, January 19, 2018

Lost Love Songs: A Coupleary Celebration

Well it is that time of year again. Coupleary. It is the 13th Month of The Year and spans from (Officially) January 15-February 14, but unofficially it lasts from December 26 (I checked, the stores had everything out on the shelves) until February 17. As a single guy, I usually do my best to ignore all the mushy ads. Valentines Day is one of the "holidays" that I opt-out of. I figure I save at least $500 every year. 

One of those things I try to avoid is love songs, at least the typical "I'd never trade a thing, you are so wonderful to me" songs. Written by someone who has the girl. Those of us who look at the situation and decide to try our luck at Foxwoods tend to like the other kind of "love song". The song where the girl says no or otherwise leaves. I call this playlist lost love songs, after "tis better to have loved and lost..." It is a work in progress and I will keep adding to it as I find them. For now, this is the list.
  • Emery, The Ponytail Parades: "It scares me to think that you could find takers other than me, better than me." "Don't say that we can still be friends." With two cuts here, they are the king of the break up song.
  • Emery, Can't Stop The Killer: One of the most disturbing songs in Christian Music. The chronicle of a Broken Marriage ending in Murder. You have to hear it to believe it.
  • Color Theory, I Should Have Kissed You: "I told myself when you leaned in closer, this is my big chance but now it is over, and now I miss you. I should have kissed you." Honesty like this gets you the co-regency.
  • Color Theory, A Safe Distance: "I will always love you, From a safe distance" Enough Said.
  • Skillet, Say Goodbye: "Don't say anything tonight, if you're gonna say goodbye"
  • NF, I Just Wanna Know: "I just wanna know, when did you get so cold, what happened to your soul."
  • Sumerlin, Breaking Out: "It's my fault I gave my heart away with the key, I thought that she would be the one to stay here."
  • The Ember Days, Darling: On first spin I felt it was about a spouse dying, I later discovered that it was about the death of a child. It works either way. "What shall be my hope without without my love without my love. Will I find heaven to be my only relief." I can not hear this song without tearing up. A short vocal song with a long instrumental end.
  • The Quiet Science, The Things That Cannot Be: "If Only Every Word You Said Could be Removed From Me so that I didn't know you at all. If Only Every Line of your face didn't burn so deep into my memory the things that cannot be."
Despite the list I am not depressed, only realistic. The sayings end "than not to have loved at all" is true. You can't break up if you weren't together at one point. Get your tissues and give it a listen. Meanwhile I'll be practicing my poker skills. Until next time, I am Awaiting Your Reply.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment