Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Friday, December 22, 2017

WLCMA vs PVA: 2017 Edition - The Album Awards

We here at Night Beat HQ don't often see eye to eye with "The Industry" and we like it that way. My disagreement with the Dove's and The "Christian" Section of The Grammy's is Legendary. Still, sometimes they come around. And when they do I don't know whether to be happy or concerned.

This years We Love Christian Music Awards (WLCMA) is one of those times. They have 55 nominees (5 nominees per category, 11 categories) in the Album Section (The only section I have partially completed. Song is too raw at the moment) 41 are in the initial #PlatVnyl8 Pool (Which is current and I can comment on), and 6 are in the #PlatVnyl9 Pool (Which is in process and I can not comment on). The remaining 8 were either those that Missed The Mark or Albums which I missed (and I am Checking On).

The WLCMA's really love Pop Music. The Proof? They have 3 Pop Categories so they can get 15 nominees in. Even with the liberal standards of the PVA's (we have 7 nominees per category unless we have to expand them) that's twice ours. Because of this discrepancy we will not go into much detail on Pop, except to say that 13 of 15  nominees are also in the Pool. I will include the categories among my quick picks.

The first of the detailed categories is the Inspo Awards (Adult Contemporary/Inspirational). The nominees are as follows.
  • Trust, Jaci Velasquez
  • Open Hands, Laura Story
  • We Will Rise, Natasha Owens
  • Every Mile Mattered, Nichole Nordeman
  • Unbreakable, Selah
All 5 are in this years #PlatVnyl8 pool. My Prediction? Velasquez for the win. Trust me. Who would I pick? I would go with Nichole Nordeman.

Next up is The Encounter Awards (Modern Worship)
  • There Is A Cloud, Elevation Worship
  • God That Saves, Iron Bell Music
  • More, Jeremy Riddle
  • The Garden, Kari Jobe
  • Taste + See, Ricardo Sanchez
All except Jeremy Riddle are in the #PlatVnyl8 pool (Riddle is #PlatVnyl9).  I think the WLCMA's will stay traditional and go with Kari Jobe, and of the picks I would go with her or Sanchez (a lot of Horns in my samples. Horns and strings make my day). Though In My Humble Opinion, the winner should be In Rivers by Light City Music. All worship music is but a pale imitation. This is worship. They didn't even get nominated.

The AMP Award (Rock-Alternative) still in my opinion is too bloated (we have Rock, Alternative, and Hard Rock/Metal at The Platinum Vinyl Awards). Too many divergent sounds fighting each other.
  • Farewell To Midnight, As We Ascend
  • Let The Light In, Ashes Remain
  • Gone, Red
  • Found, Seventh Day Slumber
  • IX, Spoken
Ashes Remain and Red are in #PlatVnyl9, the other three are in #PlatVnyl8. There is only one choice here: Red, Red, Red, Red, Red. Am I clear?

Album of The Year is the last detailed genre here. 
  • Starlight, Bethel Music
  • Faith Hope Love Repeat, Brandon Heath
  • One Way Conversations, Hollyn
  • All In, Matthew West
  • Hills and Valleys, Tauren Wells
Brandon Heath is a #PlatVnyl9 Pool member, all the others are for #PlatVnyl8. I am thinking that of the choices, Hollyn is the best choice.

Now for the quick picks:
  • The Hook Award (Pop): Hollyn, One Way Conversations
  • The Freebird Award (Art Pop): The Royal Royal, Rococo
  • The Pop Lite Award (Pop/Contemporary): Mercy Me, Lifer
  • The Hype Award (Rap): KB, Now We Rebel
  • The BPM Award (Electronic): Fearless BND, We Are Fearless
  • The Soul Vibe Award (Gospel): Deitrick Haddon, Deitrick Haddon and the Hill City Worship Camp
  • EP of The Year: Plumb, God Help Me EP        
That does it for this post. It will be all quick picks for the next few posts. Until then, I am Awaiting Your Reply           

No comments:

Post a Comment