Pages

NewReleaseTuesday.com - A Christian Music Community

Monday, June 27, 2011

A Tale of Two Tricia's

Road
Not really, I just liked the way it sounded. I guess I'm a sucker for alliteration. There really is just one Tricia, Tricia Baumhardt (nee Brock), the lead singer for the pop/rock band Superchick. After ten years of singing to millions through a megaphone, she has released a solo project entitled The Road. Now anyone who isn't familiar with her work with Superchick will take right to this album, a top rate modern worship entry that can go toe to toe with the best out there. If you're familiar with Superchick, you're in for a shock.

Mind you it's a good shock, but a shock is a shock. There isn't a lot of chances to highlight your vocal range in modern CCM, or pop music of any kind these days. As a result most of the music is just various shades of a scream. That's not good or bad, it just is. Modern Worship is singer friendly in such a way that it allows the artist to showcase themselves. I know, it sounds strange in a field that is supposed to be "all about God." Trust me, it's good. It prevents the genre from becoming stale.

The CD kicks off with the rocking "Breath of God", a song which would be perfect for a Rebecca St. James worship release if RSJ hadn't gone soft. Sorry Rebecca, love you, but I will praise you was a little lacking in the volume department. You Hear highlights her abilities perfectly. To put it simply, this "Chick" can sing. And it has strings. It's my favorite. Broken for Love's sake, the closing cut, is a Acoustic Duet compete with Banjo. It's a beautiful song.

I'm going to give the album 4 Emeralds. We'll see how that holds up in modern worship. On a traditional star rating I would say maybe 3.5 to 4 stars. For an opposing view, Christianity Today gave a fairly dismissive review, calling it a "Hillsong Knockoff". I think at times that Hillsong should be so lucky to do an album like this. This is a "Road" you wont regret taking. Your comments are always welcome. As always, I am Awaiting Your Reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment